Dylan woke up painfully early again today because of the chores that need to be done before he can go to work. Today, as always, he trekked out to the greenhouse to make sure all was right with the pellet stove. He filled the pellets, emptied the ash, and checked the moisture level of the plants. Once all that was done, he moved on to the chicken coop to give them fresh, unfrozen water for the day.
Today was also the day that we had a woodstove installed in the backroom. This room is essentially unheated and barely (if at all) insulated. It was previously (many years ago) a shed that connected the barn to the house. The previous owners moved the barn up the hill, updated the room and added a kerosene heater to heat the space. That kerosene heater went out about a week ago and everything in that room basically froze solid, including about half of our kitchen. So we made the decision to heat that space with a wood stove (instead of repairing the kerosene heater and filling the 500 gallon tank). Best decision ever. The back room is cozy and warm, as well as about ½ the house. We were already heating the main portion of the downstairs with a woodstove, so this is just even better. So that was most of my day, dealing with the installation and cleanup after.
Once Dylan got home from work, we decided that we needed to get the very large amounts of snow off the top of the farm store roof. The roof is old, and the snow had drifted. It had to come down. Dylan started off with the roof rake, which just wasn’t doing the job. Because the snow was so deep and heavy in places, we realized pretty quickly that it would have to be shoveled off. Dylan went to the barn for a ladder and climbed up on the roof. Once he moved some of the snow to the front of the building, I could then rake it off. This took forever. And then we had FEET of snow to shovel and move because it was blocking 2 of the very few parking spaces we have left….and access to the farm store. The drifts are so high on the sides of the parking area, that the snow had to be shoeveled and each load walked and dumped to a place that wasn’t so high. This task that I thought would only take 30 minutes or so turned into a much bigger job. That happens a lot with farming.
Kade filled the wood rack when got home from school. Now with 2 woodstoves, he is having to fill it more often. While Kade did the wood, Dylan did the evening chores. And during that time, I cooked a meal to feed 7 people (Dylan’s Dad arrived today for a short visit).
We enjoyed (and devoured) our dinner and desert (carrot cake made by Dylan yesterday) and talked about farm tasks coming up in the next few weeks. By the end of the month, we have a pretty long list of things that need to be achieved to keep us on track for spring. I’m pretty confident that we can get it done, but am also the constant worrier.
Until next time…
Dylan and Harmony, whichever of us have the time to sit down and write for a few minutes. : )