The blizzard that was forecasted missed us, thank goodness, but the wind DID NOT. The paths are gone. Doing chores was absolutely horrible this afternoon. I braved the wind and blowing snow and went with Dylan to do chores around 4pm today. Barn chores were no problem. The sheep and goats were fine and actually quite cozy in their pen. After doing the chores in the barn, we start to head out to the greenhouse and chicken coop. Dylan was in front of me with a sack of feed on one shoulder and a sack of pellets on the other shoulder and I followed with an (empty at this point) egg basket, 3 sheets of hay and a bucket of water. We took off a little slower than normal due to the few inches of new snow…turned the corner at the first fence…and then everything went downhill. The snow had drifted so high that even Dylan was having trouble staying on his feet. It was nearly impossible for me to stay upright in the deep drifted snow with what I was carrying. I was cussing like a sailor and mad at everyone who had anything to do with this situation (which was no one….except for the wind and snow). Dylan made it to the greenhouse and the chicken coop before I did. Once the chores out there were finally done, we headed back towards the house. The trek back wasn’t quite as bad, considering the significantly lighter load…and foot step holes. I’m so done with the snow. I love it and think it’s pretty, but at this point, I’ve had enough. So ready for mud season (yea, I said that). Dylan and Alan got a lot of work done on the root cellar in the basement today. It’s looking great. Makes me want to fill it with vegetables!!
Our chickens are really starting to pick up their egg laying frequency again, and we have several dozen in the fridge. I decided to boil some eggs for snacking and possibly egg salad for lunch tomorrow. I always hate boiling eggs because farm fresh eggs are usually SO HARD to peel. I have tried so many tricks and some of them work, but not really. My mom is in town this week from Kentucky and was helping with dinner. She said that all you have to do is boil the water first then slowly add the eggs in one at a time to the boiling water…boil for 12-14 minutes…then cool and peel. I was very skeptical. I even added a little baking soda to the water (one of the “tricks” previously mentioned). Sure enough, those eggs almost FELL out of the shells. I peeled 2 dozen in no time flat. So exciting. J Thanks, Mom!! (It’s the little things….)
Dylan and Harmony, whichever of us have the time to sit down and write for a few minutes. : )